Monday, March 14, 2011

how I got a new sofa + pillow for 31.39 plus tax

Visit thecsiproject.com

happy Monday friends!
how was your weekend?
we are celebrating our first day of Spring Break here (which I find odd since it's not even technically Spring yet) so you can expect to find me and the kiddos in our pjs.
all week.
no joke.

playing, singing, dancing, coloring, building, crawling, napping...
so excited to be hanging out with them this week.

Now- onto some business.
I had a VERY productive weekend.
I turned this...

into this...


with the help of these-

and even made that awesome red + white pillow out of,
get this,
a towel.

and if you've been reading this blog for a while, you know I don't consider myself a seamstress.
because I'm not.
 I literally know the bare minimum to make the machine GO, so if you're intimidated by sewing projects,
well...
don't be.

Why did I feel the need to cover our living room/playroom sofa?
it's dark,
it's old,
covered in who-can-remember-what-that-substance-was stains,
little hands + fingers are constantly adding new nastiness to it every day,
I needed a project.
can't sit still, remember?

here's the deets-
I made a pattern out of brown packaging paper like this...


cut out my fabric, piece by piece.
(I decided I wanted the cover to go to the floor which is why it's much longer than the pattern)
started pinning the pieces, wrong sides OUT, onto the sofa.
this was the most tedious part to me-
pulling tight and pinning,
pulling tight and pinning,
(you'll want some great music playing or something on the tv to listen to since this will take a while)
pulling tight and pinning...
I had help while I was doing this, of course-

and also while I was doing all the sewing-

and even though it took the better part of an entire Saturday and 2 1/2 hours on Sunday,
it's finished.


I found this kitchen towel last week at Target and immediately gave it a new purpose-

let's zoom in on that price tag,
shall we?
hmmm?
boom.

I used a scrap of drop cloth left from the sofa for the back of the pillow.
(again, I had a helper who wasn't interested in putting her pjs on or going to bed at this particular time)

for the pillow, I pinned wrong sides together
or
right sides out-
turning the sides of the drop cloth in to give a finished edge-

then I used the seam of the towel as my guide,
sewing right over the top of it to connect the two pieces-

leaving a 4 inch hole, I grabbed a bag and a half of poly-fil (which I already had on hand) and started stuffing away-

I would also advise you use this time to catch up on some tv since this took a good 25-30 minutes.
once that baby was full, I stitched up the remaining 4 inches,
and thar she blows-

three 6 x 9 canvas drop cloths (9.97 a piece) = 29.91
one awesome kitchen towel on clearance = 1.48
total for slipcover + pillow = 31.39

and that, my friends, was my productive weekend.
Also loving the fact that I get to check off 2 items on my 31 by 31 list.
love checking things off...

what about you?
make any goodies this weekend?
or maybe you got to rest?
I'll hopefully be doing plenty of that this week while we're off-
and again,
if you need me,
I'll be here in my pjs.

this post is linked with Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch,
Craftomaniac Monday at Craftomaniac,
Mad Skills party at Mad in Crafts,
Strut Your Stuff at Saturday Mornings,
Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle,
Pink Hippo Party at Pinkapotamus,
Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff,
Made by You Monday at Skip to My Lou,
Get Your Craft on at Today's Creative Blog,
Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings,
I Made THIS Tuesday at This and That,
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm,
Show Me What Ya Got at Not Just a Housewife,
Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts,
Anything Related at All Thingz Related,
Tutorial Tuesday at Hope Studios,
Tutorials and Tips Tuesday at The Stories of A 2 Z,
Talent Tuesday at Vintage Wanna Bee,
Spring Fling at This Blessed Nest,
Anything Goes Party at Type A,
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts,
Transformation Thursday at the Shabby Chic Cottage,
Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design,
Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring Decorating,
Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge,
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest,
Fantabulous Friday at Mommaskindacrafty,
Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous,
Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different, Act Normal,
Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors,
Friday Flair at Whipperberry,
VIP party at Designer Garden,
Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now,
Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime,

A Craft A Day
One Month To Win It











CreativeShareWednesdays
SAS Interiors
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...