Monday, September 19, 2011

a musical wreath

Hello Friends!
I hope you had a marvelous weekend!
I had a pretty productive one myself and wanted to share something I made today. Since I'm still working on a few cool projects for my classroom,
and since I was so inspired by all of the crazy, funky wreaths that were linked to Nester's "You made a wreath out of WHAT?" party,
I made a piece of musical wreath whimsy,
yes, whimsy,
of my own.

I present to you, the kazoo wreath:


I wanted something super fun to hang on the door of my music room, so I pulled out a bag of kazoos I had left from a concert several years ago.
The only thing I had to purchase was this wreath ring thingy for about 2 bucks at Michaels. I also used my trusty glue gun.
Cute little girl watching is optional but highly recommended.


I placed the kazoos on the wreath form and played around with patterns/colors until...

I came up with a pattern I liked.
Time for glue.

I placed a tiny dab on the back of each kazoo and placed them all on the wreath form ringy thing.


Once they were in place, I grabbed my super-cool ribbon storage tins and picked out some ribbon to tie onto the top.


For the center of the wreath, I wanted to add a couple of fun words that would tell those outside the room what was going on inside the room.
Enter
"A Dictionary For Boys and Girls" circa 1935


I wanted to make some small pennant banners using dictionary pages,
so I opened the book and decided whatever page I turned to would be the one I ripped out. Now, before anyone gets sore at me for ripping up an old book,
I just so happened to have turned to the 'R' section and 'ranculous' was at the top of the page.
I don't really ever use that word, nor do I even know what it means,
so I'm not feeling too bad about it, despite the fact that I love vintage books.

Also, on a side note, my son saw me rip the page out and said,
"Mom! What are you doing? You're not supposed to tear books!"
I replied, "It's ok. We don't really use this one".

His response?

"Oh. Is it a cookbook?"

moving on...

I folded the page at the top and the bottom,
like in the pic above,
and then cut triangles on the folds,
like this:


placed a dab of glue in the center,
along with some twine-

and folded the triangle over-

until I had a couple of these:

Next, I pulled out some stamps and
voila!


Not only did this come together super quick,
but my 3 kiddos became experts on the kazoo while I was gluing and stamping.
Even MM plays pretty well.
Wish I'd snapped a pic.
Ah well...

Can't wait to hang this in my classroom,
and I'm thinking this would also be super cute in a playroom.
Whatcha think?
Would you hand kazoos on your wall?
Would you hand each of your kids a kazoo, set them free in your house, and then deal with the consequences?
Did you count how many times I added 'super' to an adjective in this post?
(it was a lot)

Happy Monday friends!
I'll be sharing a super-cool new arts & crafts studio with you tomorrow, so don't miss it!

I've linked this post to:
Craftomaniac Monday at Craftomaniac,

Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog,
Tutorials & Tips Tuesday at Home Stories A 2 Z,
Tip Junkie handmade projects
Tutorial Tuesday at Hope Studios,
Create and Share at The Trendy Treehouse,
Lil' Luna link party,
Anything Goes at Type A Decorating,
Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Design,
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts,
What I Whipped Up Wednesday at Sugar and Dots,
What I Made Wednesday at Sweet Peas and Bumblebees,
Sizzle into Summer at DIY By Design,
Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous,
Friday Flair at Whipperberry,
Do Something Crafty at The Crafty Nest,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...