Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Pinteresting Chalkboard

I mentioned in Monday's post that I was able to mark a few things off the ole'
 to-do list over the weekend and I wanted to share a couple of those today. I also wanted to be able to link up with Sherry and Katie (as well as the other hostesses, Ana and Erin) because I think they're the bees knees and whatnot. They announced last week they'd be hosting a
'Pinterest Project' link-up today, and well-
I love Pinterest and link-ups like I love salad dressing and QVC.
Capiche?

My inspiration was a simple kitchen chalkboard, like this:


Since it's been on my to-do list for quite a while now, you can imagine my excitement when I happened upon this beauty a few weeks back while thrifting-

The price tag stated that it cost a whopping 14.95,
however,
a thick wooden frame measuring in at an impressive 26" by 32" was well worth the hefty thrift store price tag to me. Not to mention the fact that it also came with a perfectly nice piece of glass.
hahaha...
I just said, "nice piece of glass".
Sorry.

I also had another project I wanted to check off of my list at the same time as the chalkboard, ya know- kinda like a two-fer?
I got this filing cabinet for free from my friend Melanie by way of bartering.
Is that what we did Mel?
Bartered?
Goods for goods?


I took the picture apart first and grabbed the can of chalkboard spray paint I'd bought the day before at Homey D's. Since my nice piece of glass didn't take too long to cover, I was able to put two coats of the stuff on it in less than 10 minutes.


For the filing cabinet, I grabbed some primer that I already had on hand-


and quickly ran out it before I even had 3 sides covered. Since Homey D's is closer to the Mathews residence than Michael's, I ended up with Rust-oleum's primer to finish the job. I'm including this incredibly dull part of this makeover story to say that Rust-oleum's claim on the can to,
"cover 2x more than the other guys"
is absolutely true. Not only did it go a lot further than my can of Krylon, but it also went on much smoother. I mean, does anyone really like streakage?


After fixin' up some fine Boston butt sandwiches for the fam's lunch (thanks Kara!) and putting the kiddos down for a nap, I began the long, tedious task of turning that filing cabinet into one huge honkin' chalkboard. The process took 4, yes FOUR cans, and I think I may have inhaled at least half of one of those. I was also so excited to get started that I neglected to put gloves on and subsequently ended up with a black thumb and finger:


After putting the first two coats of chalkboard paint on the cabinet, the girls were awake and my painting came to a screeching halt. It was just as well though because they needed adequate dry time, so...

I picked up again on Sunday after church. After a 3rd coat of paint on the cabinet, it looked like this-


Yes it looks a bit uneven, but the chalkboard paint was a booger at times. It did NOT go on as evenly as it's primer cousin.
No. No it did not.
Perhaps because it's not regular paint?
Who knows.

After a 3rd coat onto the piece of glass, it looked like this-


And no worries-
those dark spots were just wet.
They totally dried.
By Sunday, I was also wise to the goodness of gloves.
I just so happened to have a pair of lovely pink plastics under my sink.
See that black finger? All went on the glove this time.

As per the instructions on the can, I waited til both pieces were dry as a bone, took some chalk, turned it on its side, grabbed my 6-year old, and we got to chalkin' up that cabinet.



I let him go crazy at the bottom because, why not?

I also chalked up that nice piece of glass, threw it back in its frame that I'd painted white, and that my friends was the birth of our very own kitchen chalkboard:


Here's a closer look at this week's menu.
You're more than welcome to join us.


As for the filing cabinet,
she ended up nestled in next to my craft cabinet where I promptly slapped a basket o' fabric on top and some numbers on the front.


I know you're probably wondering why I'd take the time to paint that sucker with 3 coats of chalkboard paint when I can't even see 3 sides of it...

I wasn't exactly sure where it would end up.
Our broken and much-too-small 2-drawer cabinet lives in the man cave, and quite frankly, hubs didn't like it in there. Messed with the 'cave' vibe I guess. So, she ended up in the corner of the dining room which is not ideal, but when you've got no craft room slash office-
you do whatcha gotta do.

SO-
did any of YOU participate in the Pinterest challenge?
I can't wait to see what everyone else links up-
and by the by, I feel I must mention the fact that our school's server now BLOCKS Pinterest from our computers.
Do they realize they've stripped me of my lunchtime activity??
And do they even realize what a valuable resource Pinterest is for teachers?
I'm serious here-
thousands of great links and websites on there to enhance their child's education, but they TAKE IT AWAY.

sorry for the rant.
I guess I'm just afraid to see what they'll take next.

Here's hoping YOU have full access to the inspiration that awaits, and if you're not on Pinterest yet,
what are you waiting for?

If you need an invite, let me know-
I pass them out like candy on Halloween.

p.s.- this post is also linked to the Weekend Wrap-up at Tatertots and Jello

Happy Wednesday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...